Sunday, November 30, 2008

November 30, 2008 - Hang ing out

Hey there, hi there and hello there to you all. Jim and Mr. Funke, I hope you both had a wonderful birthday and that everyone had a fantacular Thanksgiving. It's hard to believe, but November has passed us by and December is here yet again ... craziness!
It was a pretty darn short work week, like most holiday shortened weeks there were not a lot of people there and a large volume of work was probably not completed. I did start a couple new initiatives, but mostly worked with the ongoing projects and reporting; did I mention I love reporting ... not! We did have our first annual PIC Team Chili Cook-off with 7 entries, one being Mom's Easy Chili aka Shueyville Sweetness. While I believe I won the creative chili brochure contest, most will remember my 7th place finish ... I guess people in the South don't really care for simple pork-n-bean chili:) I'll get 'em next time.

Steph was still down for the beginning of the week until Wednesday and than I had another fine lady join the fun, my girlfriend Jenny whom arrived on Monday eve. They joined me at Aflac for the chili cook-off to meet the rest of my team and then that evening had some delicious pizza before the fantastic Fantasy in Lights show at Callaway Gardens. We witnessed over 8 million light bulbs in our hour long trolly tour with some of my SIFE pals as well, it was a glorious experience. I did have to bid farewell to my wonderful sister early on Wednesday morning. It was so amazing to have you come down Steph and I thoroughly enjoyed all of our chats and time together ... althought I think moving out to LA for your first gig would be absolutely amazing and a life-changing experience, you need to do what's best for you and what will make you happy! (Keep me posted b/c I'd love to visit too:)




Wow Jenny, what a week. I will say to all that were wondering, she passed the cooking test with flying colors. Thanksgiving ham, mashed taters, green bean casserole, sweet rice, corn bread muffins, Ovaltine (ok, I made that) and pumpkin pie ... mmm mmm good! Best part about it was she made plenty for leftovers as well ... you done good Jenny! This weekend was also payoff time for Jenny's birthday present; hang gliding at Lookout Mountain. We headed up early on Friday and stopped to visit Ruby Falls. We took a wonderful tour of the caves and beautiful falls before heading to our 300 sq. ft. cabin. Saturday morning we got all dressed up in our gear for a day of flying. We started off with some instructions and practice runs on flat ground to get the technique before going up 2,000 feet. Then we moved over to the bunny hill where we both nailed our first solo flight with a near perfect take-off, flight and landing ... well ahead of where Dan-the-man wanted us to be. Can't say that for my second solo flight. I started off well, feet running in the air and then I got excited, pulled back a bit and then took a nasty nose dive resulting in the largest divot our instructor had seen, a loud bang from my head and two bent hang gliding poles. Guess the adrenaline kicked in b/c I didn't feel it until a couple hour later, what a crash! However exciting that was though, it turned out Mother Nature had seen enough and for the rest of the weekend we didn't get to finish our training or tandem flight ... big time bummer! Guess Jenny and I will just have to venture up there again sometime for a 2,000 foot flight!



Saturday night we went out on the town for a Murder Mystery dinner theater, high school reunion style. Chattanooga is a pretty cool place and the dinner was amazingly hilarious and much needed. I was able to pull away with the Top Sleuth award by guessing the murderer and even had a small acting part while Jenny and I danced with some old folks:) We finished the night off with a movie, Australia (pretty good), and a cruise through the fog back to the cabin. Although we didn't get to do our tandem flight, it was a fun weekend of leftovers and hanging out ... very much enjoyed. Jenny will be here until Tuesday, but I don't believe we have any big plans besides her favorite restaurant, Fuji on Tuesday for lunch. Thank you so much for coming down, cooking some grub and hanging out ... it's been awesome!


This is going to be one of those crazy weeks with a YP board meeting, our first hurricane relief trip meetings, volunteer action, Aflac Christmas Party and the Favorite Word Gala next Sunday ... wahoo! I've got most of my shopping already done and four Dirty Elephant parties to attend in the next three weeks (one with my over 60 year old lady friends ... gotta love it!)
Other than that, I hope you all have a wonderful week and a great beginning to the holiday season.

Can't wait to see all of the family in a few weeks ... until then, have a holly jolly Christmas.
Alwayz,

Nate

No comments: