Sunday, August 19, 2007

Week 3 - Into the grind

Hey there, hi there and hello there. Hope all is well with everyone. First off...Georgia is hot, just an FYI; over 100 many days in the last weeks!

This last week at the ol' Aflac was New Employee Orientation (NEO) time, which was very informative and I got to meet some pretty cool cats. An English bloke Mike and a new SIFE Analyst Mr. Ed/Eddie. Found out that Aflac has some amazing benefits that I will fully take advantage of in the near future.

I was fortunate to get in on some very tangible projects at work, including working on the entire budget for the Support Services center where I currently reside. Everyone I meet continues to be very welcoming and helpful as I begin to get challenged with projects and different tasks.

This weekend, I was able to volunteer for the first time down here with Habitat for Humanity. For 5 hours I helped put up siding for Rhonda and her 5 children that will be moving in the middle of September. I met some interesting folks, including a group of sorority girls and Harley riders...what a combo. Rhonda is actually a refugee from New Orleans, so I was able to chat a bit about her experiences as well as mine having been down there to help. It was a very fulfilling morning of work.

I hung out with a new pal, Mike (big soccer fan), to watch a soccer match. I think I am getting signed up to play in a men's open soccer league down here...pretty pumped about that. Last night, a bunch of us SIFErs went out on the town to Scruffy's to hear a live band. I really enjoy the night scene down here with live bands and people having good times!

That's it for this week, this week looks to be a good one where hopefully I can start taking the lead on some projects and making a difference!

No comments: