Sunday, July 13, 2008

July 13, 2008 - Just waddlin' along


Hey there, hi there and hello there. Well, it was just another week in the neighborhood down in Columbus. Dribbles has a big birthday coming up this week, so happy birthday auntie Deb! Also, don't know if I mentioned but congrats to Mike and Leanna on their baby boy Nathan ... what a great name:)

Work this week was kind of slow ... I think we're in a holding pattern for some of our strategic projects and just waiting for the ok. We did finalize all of our hires for the department this week which was very exciting I must say; I do enjoy the whole interview process a good bit. I submitted a couple of proposals to my boss man and boss lady and they were actually quite impressed. It's amazing what a little time, effort and flash can do for a project ... I'm very happy with the plan and now it's all about executing it. We have some big meeting this week that should be a tell-tale of how we'll finish out the year. I set objectives for the team this last week to help determine the direction they have before the performance appraisal year is up ... also a very interesting process, kind of messed up if you ask me. This week should pick up a bit as all of the strategic projects start to get approved and I begin to dive into future state of Policy Services!

I attended my first Evening Enunciators (Toastmasters) meeting which is the new club I'm joining. They're having a humorous speech contest at the end of the month and I think I may give it a shot. I also received my script for the Making it Counts program coming up in a few weeks. I have to memorize a 14 page script for the training in Indianapolis the first part of August, so it's been quite fun getting back into memorized speeches again ... brings back memories of the ol' SIFE days.

The ol' Aflac SIFE group got together quite a bit this weekend. We got together for some Rock Band and Bohemi Golf on Friday night to celebrate Miranda's big girl job and Rio's outstanding performance in the Aflac Iron Girl race. Then Jason, Lucia and myself helped to lay some sod on Saturday for the Habitat for Humanity ... it was a very fulfilling volunteer experience I must say. After laying by the pool a few of us met up for a nice chat at TGI Fridays where I consumed approximately 5 strawberry-lemonade slushies which most likely equated to more than 1,000 grams of sugar .... I think I'm still on a high!

Wednesday was our first soccer game ... not so good, but tonight I had a hat trick (3 goals for those not acquainted with the soccer lingo) and we ended up tying anyways. You'll be proud to know I have yet to get a yellow card this season, it's almost like I'm growing up ... not:)

It was a pretty short week this week after getting back down south from Iowa, so I believe this next week will pick up a bit.

Hope you all have a fantacular week and I leave you with a note from Brendan Buchard, the author of Life's Golden Ticket: "When you've come to the edge of all the light you know, faith is knowing one of two things will happen; there will be something to stand on or you will be taught to fly." Give life a shot and take some chances ... you may just learn how to fly (or your parachute will work and you will land gently after a sky dive as pictured above:)!

Alwayz,

Nate

No comments: