Monday, October 13, 2008

October 13, 2008 - Wonderful times in Shueyville






Hey there, hi there and hello there to you all. I hope everyone had a great birthday week last week and enjoyed the declining gas prices:)



Last week was a big one for the duck as we had a great deal of PIC team projects that elevated over the weekend. We now have a new workflow system, real-time processing of transactions and we even had an Online Services elevation that was quite successful. I was able to chat about our OLS to a few groups this week and I even had the opportunity to talk with all of the managers throughout Aflac about their role in building their direct reports. We were on a panel of about 6 young professionals that got to shed some light on mentorship, vision and what we saw in good leaders ... it was a great exercise I must say. I also had a wonderful time with the team going over their goals to see where they'd like to be in the next year and start trying to figure out how to get them there. It was fun to look at all of the suggestions for our department and start to figure out where the best bang for the buck would be! O yes, and I finalized my first formal performance appraisals for the team which was a very intriguing experience to say the least!



Outside of work was wonderful as well this week as there was a great deal of volunteer action. The ol' En Fuego soccer team is still sporting a goose egg in the win column (think I found something I'm not too great at) but the kids are having a great time and the parents haven't fired me yet. I also had a few meetings for the Literacy Alliance to discuss our Word Gala coming up and I even got the Aflac President Paul Amos II to commit to helping us out with the event by painting his favorite work on a canvas ... wahoo:) Young Professionals (YP) had a big week as well with our monthly FUNdraising meeting. It's pretty difficult now with the times to ask for big funds, but we're trucking along. We had a wonderful political event as well on Tuesday with some local candidates ... I even made it on the ol' WTVM late night news to chat about YP political engagement. Last week was also my last Making it Count speech for the semester, but I go to Columbus, OH in December to re-certify for the Spring so I am looking forward to it.



After all the working and volunteering was done I flew back to Shueyville for the weekend. Friday morning I had a little breakfast action with Steph and the Jenny at ol' Victor's Place. It's great to see his business up and running after all of the madness with the Summer's flood. After that I went and spoke in a Marketing Communications class for my good pal Anne King about Aflac and getting the most out of the college years. After lunch with Coach Amir and some ol soccer buddies, I went down to the U of I to chat with some folks about applying to be accepted into their Doctoral program for Management and Organizations ... won't find out until March but I'll keep you posted. Friday was a wonderful time when the Flugum family, Jenny and myself headed up to Des Moines for a pretty awesome Secondhand Serenade concert followed by some intense shuffleboard and pool action ... where Gump and I dominated an old couple of course!



Saturday morning was full of food in Shueyville to hang with the bro, grandparents, parents, sister and new boyfriend (whom seems like a good guy ... good work Steph:). Had a little lunch action with some ol' MMC SIFE gals at Zio Johno's; delish. Thanks ladies for coming out to say hello and I'm glad to hear you're all doing well! Saturday afternoon/evening was the big bash for Miranda/Dylan's wedding which was beautiful. Jenny and I cut a rug on the dance floor and I was able to see some great people I hadn't seen for a while ... congrats again Miranda and Dylan! After a stop at the Shueyville Drydock to dance with ma, I was able to just hang with Jenny for a bit and Doc of course (he's huge now;).



Sunday I had to say farewell to Jenny, some one's got to put food on the table back to work, before I headed over to pops' for a brunch. I think there is a reoccurring theme here that every event was centered around food! Thanks again to Barb, the fam, grandpa and all the aunts/uncles/cousins for stopping out to say hello ... it means a lot to me to see all the family I did on Saturday/Sunday!



I had a wonderful time and received some great gifts for an early birthday celebration which was topped off by a molded thumbs up from Jenny and a 36' lighted cow for the front yard from Blake/Steph ... thanks all, I really enjoyed it. It's always too short when I go back home, but it's great to see wonderful family and friends when I do.



I think Oprah will close out our morsel this week, " Be thankful for what you have; you'll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don't have, you will never, ever have enough." So, thank you again to my great family and friends back home and afar for everything ... I can never thank you enough!



Alwayz,



Nate

No comments: