Sunday, October 19, 2008

October 19, 2008 - Thanks for a great bday!







Hey there, hi there and hello there everybody. First off, I want to say thank you to all my family and friends for the wonderful gifts, cards and good times in celebration of me making it to my 24th year ... only one more and I'll get a reduction in my car insurance, I can't wait:)


What a week at the office, I tell you what ... the duck is a pretty dern good place and I've got a great team! We made some great progress on all of our projects this week and I counted 22 meetings this past week alone, holy schnikes! I do love meetings though, productive ones that is, because I think you can get a lot accomplished and I usually get to meet new people. I kicked off our Online Services Advisory Council meetings with a bang this last week and we're already hittin the road running for 1st Qtr. 2009 elevations ... woooeeee. I also learned a bit more about the competitive research environment as we're looking to work with an industry magazine, LIMRA, to learn more about the market. We also had our annual SIFE Round table discussion to chat with HR about the SIFE Analyst program and suggest improvements. It was a very productive meeting and had some good follow-up with the HR team.
Probably the highlight of the work week though was when my team punk'd me on my birthday. I arrive at my desk around 7:15ish on my bday to find an email from Haleigh at about 3:49am. Now Haleigh has a little boy on the way and had an appointment scheduled in the morning, but informed me that she had no clothes that fit so she would not be able to make it in after her appointment. I would've known it was a prank right away, but I thought ... who wakes up at 3am to prank their boss, so I sat around for 1o minutes trying to figure out how to respond to her email. I had to be firm, but caring at the same time ... wow, that was tough. So, then I was on my way to a speech when I get a call from Adam "The Tank" Hart, the nickname will play into his story. He calls me all groggy to let me know that he had been celebrating a bit much the night before and that he had a hangover. Anyone else on the team I wouldn't have thought anything of it, but this is the Tank ... so after a few clarifications I said alright, see you tomorrow. Then, John calls me to let me know he had went to El Carrizo's the night before. Now this is a new Mexican restaurant that I have not heard good things about, so he tells me that he may have eaten something bad and won't be in that morning. At this point I was a bit suspicious waiting for the 4th person on the team to call, but she never did. So did I call out the bluff? No, I immediately try to think of excuses for my boss if they ever would've walked by that day b/c one of my people was shopping, one was drunk and one was on the toilet ... how could I explain that one?! Luckily, as I walked around the corner getting back to work they were all waiting to let me know they had punk'd me ... pretty good to say the least! In addition, for Boss's Day the next day they had all gotten me a card and gift card to Barnes and Noble plus lunch. We're a squirly group, but I really appreciate the team I have ... they keep me on my toes but are all good people!

I also received a late birthday present on Thursday night when the soccer team I coach, En Fuego, picked up our first victory of the season! It was so exciting and the kids/parents were extremely pumped, they still haven't given up:) To add to the fun, I got in a little talking match with the other coach as she tried to "tattle" on a couple of my kids. I've never had a 40-something come up to me after a game to tattle on my kids, sorry mom, my sarcasm came out a bit but it was funny ... even the parents laughed;) I had a couple Young Professional gigs this week as well as a meeting for our Hands on the Valley Advisory Council. They even baked me a cake for the birthday before we re-capped the Hands on Georgia event success!

In addition, I had a speech on my birthday for the Jordan High senior class. I've had some interesting speaking experiences, but this one is right up there. I went to chat with them about choices after high school and my L.I.V.E. motto when I realize it's their homecoming week. Not only is it there homecoming week, but the day I am there to give a speech is cross-dress day! A couple minutes into my speech I see these big ol' football players walk in with skirts and stockings on, even a bright pink wig for a couple. How am I supposed to deliver an inspirational speech with gentlemen turned gentle ladies? But I think it worked out as they were very attentive and the teachers enjoyed it.
All in all, it obviously was a great week. I can never thank all of my family, friends, co-workers and yes ... even Jenny, for the birthday wishes and gifts over the last week or so. I could never ask for better family and friends ... you've all made it a truly special celebration!






Until next time, have a fantacular week!
Alwayz,
Nate
ps, thanks Steph/Blake for the 31" Penguin and check out the pumpkin:)

No comments: