Sunday, August 30, 2009

August 30, 2009 - Happy Birthday Dad!

Hey there, hi there and hello there one and all ... and a special howdy dooody and happy birthday to you pops! I'm glad to hear Wisconsin was a good time and I hope that you have a good rest of your birthday, look out for the card:) I have to give a belated shout-out to my aunt Anne as well, then to Diane and Sam too ... a wonderful week of birthdays I must say!
It was another great week at Aflac, only about 16 meetings in the four days I worked so lots of time to be at the cube and get stuff done. I spent some more time with my team hammering out 2010 projections and getting them in on this whole Precision Leadership business. Tuesday was also the day when I got the email that let me know I had luckily passed the Six Sigma Green Belt exam:) It was one of, if not, the most difficult test I have taken and to be one of the seven that passed was a great feeling ... to know, I will forever be a green belt, because there's no way I'm taking that Master Black Belt exam! My boss' boss presented our team's proposal to the Executive VP and apparently it went over very well, yahoo! This week I actually have 1.5 days of off site planning for two separate gigs, which is pretty exciting!
I handed off my Miss Georgia Pageant duties to a pal of mine, Whitney Parsons, at the Board meeting on Monday. So, there is one less thing on the plate ... o, and you'll be proud to know that the Young Professionals group I used to work with asked me to come back on the board, but instead of just automatically saying yes, I weighed the options and deferred participation to another year ... phew:) O yes, and our kickball team dominated over the weekend without me so we can move on to the semi-finals this Thursday. Wish us luck!
This weekend also started the course work for my MBA up at Emory. We had a Friday-Saturday Leadership Immersion course where we dove introspectively as well as found out whom our teams would be comprised of. We analyzed the results of the Birkman test which showed that I am a green/blue individual. So, they found out that I am someone who is: people oriented, energetic, direct/straightforward, persuasive and like to lead. They identified my interests as musical, involved in the social services and persuasive activities. Well, I guess that test was pretty good then I suppose;) We learned about leadership communication and how it differs from management (tactical) communication. Saturday was full of team activities where I met the five other students that would be in my class. I have to admit, we have a pretty awesome, and young, team. Everyone seems very motivated and we got along well during the Go-Game team building activity where yes, I stuffed 11 big marsh-mellows in my mouth before I couldn't say chubby bunny anymore:) Looks like this will an intense endeavor, but with good people on board it'll be great!
It's the one week countdown for Jenny and my cardio endeavors. Jenny leaves Wednesday for her marathon in Hawaii (I don't even like driving 26.2 miles, let along run:). She's pretty excited to see the fam and of course the volcanos. This is also my last week of training for the Olympic Triathlon at Callaway Gardens. I'm pretty stoked, so look for some cool pictures next weekend!
Welp, that's about all I have for this week (other than the Spongebob interpretation of the Christ the Redeemer Statue in Brazil:). I hope you all continue to have good times and that water will forevermore stay out of my sister's basement! Have a great Labor Day weekend all.
Alwayz,
Nate

No comments: