Sunday, January 27, 2008

Week 26 - What a wondermous week!


Hey there, hi there and hello there. Could have been one of the best weeks down in the south thus far, besides the Packers losing and we're not going to talk about that! Also, congrats to Mr. Ball & Chain Blake Bradley and his new wifey Jessica...welcome to the club!

This was the best start to a work week ever, we had the day off on Monday! When I went back on Tuesday I had a training class, Diversity Advantage. The class was going along great, when all of a sudden my boss Bob walks in...then all of the rest of the SIFErs and some ladies from the foundation office. After I saw the balloons, I realized something was up; I won the Aflac Volunteer of the Month award...it is an amazing honor that caught me a bit off guard. It was a pretty steady week of work after that, had a few meetings and started some work in Actuarial, not the most exciting thing but interesting nonetheless. Gotta love the trending of unemployment rates versus short term disability and their relative incurred loss ratios!

On Thursday Dedra and I had the opportunity to speak at an event on diversity, One Columbus' Dare to Dream event with high school students. I co-facilitated a session on recognizing diversity which was quite a good time. Then on Friday morning I was in on a panel that interviewed some of the finalists for the Young Professional Program Director position at the Columbus Chamber that I've been helping to get off the ground. We interviewed 3 candidates and I think two of them could get the job done very well...so hopefully this thing gets off the ground soon! We had our second social interchange event on Friday where about 25 people from Aflac and their families got together for the Columbus Cottonmouths hockey game at the Civic Center. It was a great time, lots of fights and lots of scoring with some pretty cool folks.

I had another great experience this week with Toastmasters in my new role as VP Membership. There were a few of us that traveled up to Duluth, GA to attend the Toastmasters Leadership Institute (TLI) to learn more about the organization and grow in my communication skill set. We have our table topic competition this Thursday, so hopefully I don't mess up too much and can go on to area competition.

You're probably wondering what made it such a good week, well it was all of that but then Jenny came down and put the exclamation on the whole thing. I picked her up late Sunday night and I made her some delicious breakfast on Monday consisting of a yummy omelet and orange juice...ok, so the oj wasn't too fantastic, but she did enjoy the omelet making skills:) We ventured back up to Atlanta for a surprise visit to the Georgia Aquarium. It was an amazing time, I don't think there were more than 5 minutes when we didn't laugh the whole time we were there...that continued the whole time she was here I think. We saw the beluga whales, the whole shark (some people call them whale sharks), the penguins and just had a great time! After an illegal park job, we walked around Centennial Park and toured the CNN building. After a great day of hanging out, I decided to try and earn a couple extra blue stars and made a deluxe dinner complete with steak, asparagus, fruit salad and Ovaltine of course! We combined that with the famous peach cobbler before a night of chilling at mi casa. I had to work on Tuesday, but she did join me to meet my compadres at el Vaquero, she got the thumbs up but they still didn't understand why she stayed around after learning of some of my quirks...she probably couldn't find an earlier flight;) We went down to the Riverwalk after work and then out Carrabas, where I was reminded of her passion for ice cream so we strolled over to the Stone Slab. She toured the town a bit both days and on Wednesday I took her to Fuji for my favorite lunch stop; her first time with sushi and hibachi so I was gentle. It was an amazingly hilarious time again, don't think there's many girls out there that I would've laughed that much over a 3 day period with;P Guess we'll see where that all goes in the future...flying by the seat of our pants right now and it's pretty fun!

Well that's all she wrote folks, I wish you the best and lastly I want to give a shout out to my Grandma Naber who is feeling better after some technical difficulties and is back with her friends in assisted living. Love ya grandma:)

Alwayz

Nate

No comments: