Sunday, March 30, 2008

Week 35 - En Fuego WINS:)


Hey there, hi there and hello there all. It's only been a few days since our last chat, so this one might not be so long. First off I want to give a couple birthday shout outs to my brother-from-another-mother Jeff Glau and my aunt Carolyn ... don't forget the pup Solomon, get better buddy! Hope you all have wonderful birthdays:)

This last work week was amazing ... only two days! After checking the 100 emails I missed over break (which again was amazing!) I only had a few things going on. I finished up on the recruitment project as I am getting ready to switch departments. I also helped out with the prep interviews for Page One students from Columbus High. Apparently it is a high school scholarship competition throughout the city ... it was a great experience to meet some very bright kids (wow, I'm saying kids when referring to high schoolers ... that's scary!) We had another great Toastmasters meeting as well and continued work on the other projects.

I also had my first Literacy Alliance board meeting on Friday. It was our annual strategic planning meeting which was quite interesting. We brainstormed the SWOT of the Literacy Alliance and came up with some initial strategic initiatives we needed to initiate and execute in order to address the SWOT analysis our facilitator came up with. I am by far the youngest member of the board, but it was great to interact with some folks that have been in the city for years and know what is going on. I pretty much just acted as a devil's advocate and an outsider which seemed to work out pretty well to get some new ideas ... we'll see where it goes!

We played another 18+ league soccer game on Friday night that ended up in red cards again ... mom, you'll be proud to know that all 3 were on the other team; I may have been at the root of the beginning of them, but I didn't get any which is the important thing:) I would have to say the highlight of the week (minus the vacation of course) came Saturday morning beginning at 10:30 when team En Fuego picked up our first victory 7-2. It was the most amazing the kids have ever played together with 6 of the 8 players scoring in the game ... I was baffled and the kids were excited. They were aggressive, they passed the ball, played great defense, talked and came together as a team ... even the parents were elated, what a great day.

I spent the rest of the weekend basking in the glory of the win:) Swin and I played some tennis (you'll have to ask him how that went:) and went for a run to start training for the Peachtree Road Race in Atlanta on the 4th of July. We also went to celebrate with Rio at her new pad with all the folks and played some Rock Band ... hilarious! I also saw a couple of movies this weekend, 21 and Jumpers; I would highly recommend 21 to all audiences.

Lastly, I forgot to mention that my long last pal Nathaniel Edward Smedley and his lady friend Elizabeth came and visited the night before I left for vacation (pictured above). Thanks for the great visit man and hope everything works out for you.

I leave you today with the morsel from Ralph Waldo Emerson, "It is not length of life, but depth of life." Remember to run with every opportunity that you possibly can to not only enhance your own life, but the life of those around you as well.

Alwayz,

Nate

No comments: