Sunday, September 27, 2009

September 27, 2009 - Happy Birthday Barb!

Hey there, hi there and hello there to one and all. We're about two hours away from a big birthday celebration for Barb, I hope you have a wonderful day and I can't wait to see you and the rest of the family later this week:)
I have to admit, it was another crazy work week at Aflac with performance appraisals under way and our team still trying to figure out what this whole PIC team transition is all about. Looks like we're going to be physically moving in the next few weeks, so it's a good thing I kept all of my boxes for an excursion to the 2nd floor of our campus. It's always nice to change up the scenery every now and again. This week isn't shaping up too badly either, so it should be a smooth transition into MMC Homecoming weekend and my trip back to Iowa on Thursday afternoon.
So if you haven't heard, apparently Mother Nature is trying to make up for the last two years worth of draught with a ridiculous amount of rain down here in the south. So much that my Monday evening class up at Emory got cancelled because of the intense flooding of the area. Don't worry, they're so kind up there that they rescheduled class just for us:) I'm enjoying it thus far though learning about economics, demand functions of elasticity for baseball teams and being able to apply decision analysis ... very cool!
The week included a great weekend as well with a big Iowa and Green Bay win! We also had a nice SIFE shindig with a Saturday night Murder Mystery Dinner theatre. It was all capped off by a nice dog date with a couple German Sheppards and a Great Dane named Rocco ... Caden had a blast!
This week I was very fortunate to have been asked to head up to the Aflac Cancer Center for Kids up at Emory Hospital for a ribbon cutting event. About twenty of Aflac's executives, including our CEO, went up to tour this amazing facility of which our employees and field members have donated more than $50 million dollars for in the last ten years. Seeing the rooms and hearing the stories of these kids again made me realize why I choose to make the most of every day. If a kid with neuroblastoma or another that has experienced 10 chemo treatments can have a contagious smile on his face for the world to see, who am I to say that I'm having a bad day ... it really puts things into perspective.
Another tragic event helped me understand how precious life is too this week. A member of my team was close to celebrating the birth of her first baby boy at 37 weeks. Unfortunately, after a check-up visit, the doctor could not find the pulse of the baby and after an ultrasound, we learned that baby Anthony would be leaving us before he joined us. I can never imagine going through this, but Alicia is such a strong woman that she knows that while she may not understand why her, she knows that the big guy has a plan for us all. May the love of those friends and family around you help you through the days ahead.
To my friends and family back home, I can't wait to see you and I wish you all a wonderful week. Happy birthday again Barb and best wishes to you Alicia.
Alwayz,
Nate

No comments: