Sunday, February 21, 2010

February 21, 2010 - A little R&R is always wonderful!

Hey there, hi there and hello there to one and all. It was amazing indeed, the opportunity to relax over the weekend with some good friends and Jenny ... plus the dogs of course. It seems to be a pretty slow birthday season, so I guess I will wish my childhood idol Michael Jordan a bleated happy birthday:)

ItalicMy first four day flex week was pretty quick, but it's amazing how five days of work can fit into four days! Although I thoroughly enjoy most everything about Aflac, there are some things that will some day be glorious to be away from ... bureaucracy and reporting!! I've said it from the beginning that red tape will one day drive me away from corporate America. I feel that I have earned the right to provide people with information, but every time I do so, it seems like our leadership puts handcuffs on myself and my team by mandating we run numbers through seven different levels before passing along to a customer. I understand the importance, but it is thoroughly frustrating at times not being able to provide those in need with the necessary info when I have it right at my fingertips. On the other side of the coin, every single day I walk into my job excited for "work" because I know I have an amazing team and we have a blast getting it done! This week was again proof of that as one teammate's tragedy and another's celebration brought our team closer than before. One of the guys on my team had a very unfortunate miscarriage with his wife last weekend and all of our hearts went out to he and his wife. Then on Wednesday, we came together to celebrate another team members first child with a baby shower for he and his wife. Although it was tough, it was amazing to see everyone together for the bad and the good, that's what really makes it all worth it.

Emory is going to be a bit of a bear this week with with two midterms, Marketing and Accounting ... yahoo! I will say, I got back my first case from Financial Accounting and almost aced it with a 98, I was pretty pumped:) O yes, I was also very pumped on Tuesday night when I got the email that I made it in to the China Study Abroad excursion this May. So, Jenny, Jason, Meg and I booked a flight on Thursday for a ten day trip to Beijing and Shanghai starting at the end of April through May 9th ... more info to come, but I can tell you one thing, it'll be amazing:) We also had a great breakfast this past week for the Literacy Alliance Trivia Bee participants. I was able to chat with the crowd about the impact we have on the community and have some great grub too! This week will mark the 5th annual Trivia Bee fundraiser at Columbus State. Come on out Thursday night for a wonderfully-free night of clean fun and cheer with a great group of people!

The best part of the week began late on Thursday night after we booked our trip to China, Jason, Meg, Jenny and I packed up the pooches and our gear (Griswold style) and headed up to the North Georgia Mountains for a weekend at the cabin. We played lots of cards, ate even more food and enjoyed a great bit of sleep:) Friday night the girls decided they would try and be nice by getting the car ready for us, but I think they missed the memo that a steep incline in a slick forest does not bode well for heavy vehicles and yes ... we got stuck. We were stuck so bad that a kind samaritan and his PT Cruiser were needed to pull us out, embarassing yes, but memorable nonetheless. Saturday we ventured to Amicalola Falls for a hike with the dogs and a great experience out in the beautiful country of the mountains. As you can see, it was a gorgeous view of the falls and hike through the park. That night we grilled some steaks and looked up at the millions of stars in the sky after a 60 degree day. We packed up Sunday in nearly 70 degree weather and ventured home after the R&R for a rollerblade ride with Caden.

What a great weekend indeed, can't wait to see what the week has in store.

Until next time, have a super-fantasatic day.

Alwayz,

Nate

No comments: